Sunday, July 18, 2010

We made it to Xi'an

We made it! We arrived in Xi'an tonight a little after 7. As our plane touched down, I felt like I might cry as I thought about my precious Anna Grace who spent 16 1/2 months in this city. I am so very, very thankful that she is ours. What a gift she is to our family. And then I thought how wonderful it is that my 2 daughters from China will share this common heritage. They are both from Shaanxi Province and I think that will be special for them to share.

We are staying at the Grand Mercure Hotel. We were supposed to be here last night but didn't make that due to the travel issues we had. I think, instead of refunding our money, they just put us in a suite. A VERY nice suite! It has 2 bathrooms...and we don't stay in hotel rooms with 2 bathrooms in our family, well actually now we do because we've outgrown one hotel room...but you know what I mean!! It also has a big living room with a couch and 2 chairs, a HUGE bathroom, with towels bigger than Emily. She came out wrapped in one and said, "Hey Mama, look at these huge towels. They come down to my ankles and towels haven't come that far down since I was 5." She was funny! The bathroom is most impressive to us. There is a double sink and behind that is a glass wall with a door. Behind the glass wall is the toilet and another door. Inside that room is the shower and bathtub. It is a jacuzzi tub and the shower is beside the tub. The entire room is the shower; you just close the door and turn on the water. I have never seen anything like it. I'm afraid Avery's expectations for home might be a bit inflated after seeing this room. Hopefully someone can tell her not to expect the same thing in her bathroom at home! I tried to get pictures of the room but they really don't do it justice.

Tomorrow is the day we meet Avery. I found out that she will leave Hanzhong tomorrow morning to drive to Xian.So she is spending her last night there. I keep wondering if she is able to sleep or if her stomach is in knots thinking about what is to come. I have a new appreciation for what Avery is going to experience when she comes to the US. Yesterday as we spent 8 hours in the Shanghai airport, with NO Americans anywhere in sight, or any English speaking people for that matter, I realized that I was getting a teeny, tiny taste of what it will be like for her. The difference? I get to go home in 13 days and she doesn't! She will have to adjust and let that become home. I cannot imagine how homesick she is going to be, how much she will want to see Chinese faces and hear her language spoken. I will do my very best to find places she can go to experience that. I think we will also spend a lot of time at home. I think that will seem like a safe place to her so we may be there a lot at first. Pray for her!

One thing I found out tonight that could only be G** is that the children at the Bring Me Hope camp in Xian this week are from Avery's orphanage. I am so excited about that! We've been invited to come as many days as we want. I think I will let Avery take the lead on that one. If she wants to go more than one day, we will. I am especially excited about meeting one handsome little fella by the name Job. I can't believe that he is going to be there so I am super excited about that!

An update from the family in Virginia~ Sarah is getting ready for the All Star Relay meet this coming Wednesday. She will swim freestyle in both races. Lauren is enjoying her special Daddy time...because anyone who knows us, knows that Lauren pretty much has her Daddy right where she wants him. Anna Grace celebrated a special day with her daddy and sisters yesterday. We called it Anna Day because she officially reached the day in which she has now been WITH us longer than she was without us! What a wonderful milestone we reached. Daddy and Sarah both made it a special day for her. I was sad not to be with her on that special day but it is also pretty neat that I am back in Xian to adopt another precious daughter. How blessed our family is to have these five girls that we are privileged enough to call daughter.

Pray for all of us. We are now 14 1/2 hours away from meeting Avery. And I promise to have more pictures then!

No comments:

Post a Comment